Pressure canning is an ideal way to preserve food, especially ‘sloppy’ food like soups, stews, curries and stewed fruits. It saves valuable freezer space.
- Clean the jars and and ensure that the lids fit well.
- Fill the jars with your left over food. A jam funnel is very useful here.
- Ensure that the jars rim is clean and clear of food.
- Put the lids on the jars.
- Fill the pressure cooker with water to the minimum level.
- Add the jars to the pressure cooker. Make sure they don’t touch each other.
- Pressure cook the jars for 40 minutes.
- Turn off the pressure cooker, and wait for it to cool before opening. Do not release the steam.
- Allow the jars to cool, their safety buttons will invert.
- Check the safety buttons, well sealed jars will store well. If they haven’t sealed put in the fridge and eat soon.